Clear all

Conception phase  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
22/11/2019 2:33 am  

Hi everyone, thank you very much for your evaluations! As I predicted we end up having a tie with three concepts on the top! The concepts received the following scores (sum of the grades):

imitation game -> 16

parametrical splitting -> 8

deviations from a common point -> 16

reforming, deforming (ir)-regularities -> 16

the unicorn paradigm -> 5

The two concepts with the lower scores didn't provide a realistic concept for a composition but I think that the 3 top concepts can evolve into very interesting compositions! Now we have to find a solution to this problem because we have to adopt only one concept. I can think of 2 solutions to this problem:

1. Quick and effective solution: Me as the organizer and moderator of the project, I pick up one of the three concepts and we start working on that. Having the experience of past collaborative composition projects (this is my third), I can see which project can fit with the best way to the collaborative framework. The advantage of this solution is that you will have tomorrow a concept to work with, and be able to create content in time for the deadline on Sunday.
  2. Fair but slow solution: Repeat the evaluation process with a different grading system that will have less probability of giving ties. This will take some more time because I will need to gather the evaluations from all of you again. Furthermore there will be also the risk of another tie.

If you think of any other solution that may work, please post it here in the forum. Our next deadline is on Sunday so we have to harry up in any case! I would suggest that we chose a solution as soon as possible and conclude to a concept until tomorrow night, so that you can start working on Saturday.

ReplyQuote
Lula Romero
(@lula-romero)
22/11/2019 10:35 am  

Ops, sorry about the tie.

It is clear that the 3 top concepts were the most preferred. Maybe instead of repeating the voting with all the proposals, just do the voting with the 3 top concepts today until 23:59. Maybe doing so, a tie is less possible. What do you think? 

But I am also fine with you picking one of them.

It is ok for me also to repeat the voting with all proposals (1-10), but as you mentioned it should be done today at the latest. 

ReplyQuote
marcio.steuernagel
(@marcio-steuernagel)
Eminent Member
22/11/2019 1:12 pm  

I just wanted to point out that almost all of the concepts are actually variations on the same idea. I found this to be very striking. The three that received the highest votation are actually compatible with each other: the metamorphosis\anamorphosis\paramorphosis can be applied as three different methods of attaining either „deviations from a common point“ , or three different methods of engaging in the „imitation game“. But we can discuss this later on, I guess.

Having said that, on the issue at hand: as a COMPOSER I would prefer if you, Kosmas, picked one so we could move on (as they are very close to each other, and very open for now, I don´t think it will make so much of a difference). But as an ARTISTIC RESEARCHER, I  am afraid that making a „deus ex machina“ choice so early in the process might compromise the research proposal of a „self-regulating net“. So I think we lose more than we gain in trading one or two days of delay at the cost oft he integrity of the process.

So my vote would be: a quick second round with the three finalists.

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
22/11/2019 1:24 pm  

Thank you Lula and Marcio for your comments! Let's have another voting with a different grading system this time. You give at least a 10 at the most preferable concept and you scale your grading of the other concepts according to this. This means that you do not have to give a 1 to the least preferable concept of the three. For your own concept, leave the grade 0. Please deliver you ratings as soon as you read this message so that we can move forwards!

Evaluation link

ReplyQuote
sdimou
(@sdimou)
22/11/2019 10:04 pm  

Dear All,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your wonderful ideas and concepts. This message is just a "thinking out loud" reflection to what we are doing here! Having read all the concepts again and again, I understand that all of us, propose conceptual frameworks, with distinct theoretical applications that, as has been mentioned in previous posts, describes the nature of the project or the eventual way of reflecting with each other. I believe that this is fair as the first stage. I was wondering if we could be much more practical and start proposing tactile ideas; In agreement with Kosmas indirect request, that our project should reflect practicalities which outline micro and macro manipulations, I would suggest that once we make a decision regarding which concept we will follow, we should reflect practically on that, or sonically. For example, sonic typologies and how are going to be expressed, sonic and structural techniques, instrumental techniques, prepared instruments, type of percussion instruments. etc. I believe that in this approach we can proceed to apt collaborative decisions and then we can all follow a similar path in certain parameters of the piece. 

I hope you are all doing great! 

Best,

-s

PS; my webpage is dead, unfortunately, if you are interested please visit my Soundcloud page!

peace and love

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
24/11/2019 1:22 pm  

Hi everyone, the results of the second evaluation give also a tie!

imitation game -> 20

deviations from a common point -> 28

reforming, deforming (ir)-regularities -> 28

Our fifth member of the group Karin, doesn't respond to my messages and she didn't vote, so we have to proceed further without her.

I would suggest to stick with the two concepts "deviations from a common point" and "reforming, deforming (ir)-regularities", since they are compatible. For the next round, I would like that you prepare again a text (max. one A4 page) with support of multimedia content, which elaborates further the ideas introduced in the two concepts. You can work on the fusion of the two concept or/and on sonic typologies that could stem from the concepts. You can have a look at this paper as well as this, which I think could be very helpful at this stage. This round will be an inflationary one, which means that we will not make an evaluation process afterwards. We will collect ideas, which will be accessible at any moment and serve as contingent plans that could be applied according to actual course of the composition. After that, we will make a selective iteration (with evaluation), where you will propose more concrete ideas regarding instrumental techniques, notation style, prepared instruments and type of percussion instruments.

We are one week delayed so this week we have to speed up. The deadline for the next upload is on Tuesday 26.11 and the next deadline will be on Sunday 1.10.

Upload link here

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
28/11/2019 12:35 pm  

Dear composers,

thank you for your diverse elaborations on the concepts. All the uploaded material is organized in periods which you can find it in sub-pages at the Phases webpage (link). I would suggest that you read them carefully and try to discern the recurring ideas. For our future discussion you can refer to and cite any uploaded content so that we can create a nexus of interrelated material.

For the next round we have to come up with a more practical content. You will need to formulate concrete ideas in three categories:

1. instrumental techniques including prepared instruments
  2. percussion instruments
  3. notation style

For each category you have to submit a text of maximum 200 words with optional illustrations and multimedia content. Each category will be reviewed and graded separately. The deadline will be on Sunday and tomorrow I will publish the upload web-page.

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
28/11/2019 12:45 pm  

Regarding one question about the arbitrariness of the form of the composition. During the development phase there will be weekly composition assignments together with meso- and macro-structure reflection. So you will discuss these question in a systematic way. I believe this discussion has to be done in conjunction with the micro-structure composition, so that there is mutual influence between those levels.

ReplyQuote
davorius
(@davorius)
Eminent Member
28/11/2019 8:15 pm  

Dear all,

thanks for the wonderful contribution, it seems that things are slowly getting their form, but I agree with Kosmas, we have to get right to the gut of things.

As for next assignment, dear Kosmas, I am sorry to say, that I might not be able to meet the deadline. From today onwards, I am constantly traveling (driving 1000km by car myself) and then finally taking a flight to France that arrives on Dec 3rd. I will read everybody's concept and will start reflecting on the 3rd concept of my own, and I might somehow find a moment to sit down and write, but if I don't then my concept would arrive on Dec 3rd. I apologise in advance - I'll try my best, but I'm already writing this message from a gas station café.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
29/11/2019 12:05 pm  

Hi Davor, no problem we extend the deadline for everyone for the 3rd of December.

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
30/11/2019 1:25 am  

Here (link) you can upload your proposals for instrumental techniques, percussion instruments and notation style. Try to formulate conclusive proposal and not provisional since the selected ones will bind us for the subsequent creative process.

ReplyQuote
davorius
(@davorius)
Eminent Member
03/12/2019 2:20 pm  

Sorry if I missed it, but what is the final instrumentation besides percussion? Still strings?

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
03/12/2019 2:24 pm  

@davorius

Hi Davor, yes we have violin, cello, double-bass and percussion.

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
05/12/2019 12:07 am  

Hi everyone, thank you very much for your contributions of this period. Here (link) you can review and evaluate them. Deadline for submission is on Thursday 5.12.2019 at 23:59 in your local time-zone.

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
06/12/2019 12:30 pm  

Hi everyone, here (link) are the results of the voting of the previous period. I suggest that we stick with the proposals that received the higher scores but we should be also open for ideas from the other proposals or new ideas that will emerge during the next phases. This poll serves also as an indicator about the group preference. Maybe it is a good idea to stay within these boundaries (safe approach) or at some point it would be very interesting to propose something that is completely out of this scope (risky approach). It is really up to you what is going to happen and these polls are a feedback mechanism that impel you to readjust your creative outputs.

We are entering the incubation phase now and we continue our discussion in the related topic (link).

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: