Clear all

Incubation phase  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
06/12/2019 12:47 pm  

The goal of this phase is to create a pool of diverse musical ideas that will serve as the basic material for the subsequent phases. The whole phase is non-evaluative and is divided in 5 periods. For each period you have to compose a short musical idea (or event if you prefer this term) of duration 5 to 20 seconds. I suggest that you follow the guidelines described in the most preferred concept proposals (safe approach) for the first 4 periods and we leave the last period for ideas that introduce something novel or unconformous (risky approach). For you ideas you will need to provide descriptive titles and comments that outline possible functions within the composition.

These are the 5 deadlines:

• Tuesday 10.12.2019
  • Sunday 15.12.2019
  • Friday 20.12.2019
  • Wednesday 25.12.2019
  • Monday 30.12.2019

Of course we will be flexible with these deadlines but it is really important that we conclude this phase until the end of December.

Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
08/12/2019 1:15 pm  

Hi everyone and welcome Anahita to the team! Here (link) you can upload your sketch which should have a duration of 5 to 20 seconds and follow the guidelines that have been forged in the conception phase. The sketch should contain an original musical idea which should not be very much refined but open for further processing. Although this is a sketch, your notation should be clear and understandable. You can upload pdf, jpeg, png, jpg, or gif files and you can crop your score excerpt if you want so that it doesn’t have to be a whole page. Please do not mention your name in the score.

Deadline for submission is on 10.12.2019 at 23:59 in your local time-zone.

A.Abbasi liked
ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
12/12/2019 7:50 pm  

Hi everyone, thank you very much for the sketches of the first incubation period. Here (link) you can study them quickly and think of new musical ideas and can enrich this small pool. The next deadline for submission is on Sunday 15.12.2019. I would encourage you to not leave this task for the last day but complete it some day(s) before and upload it. This will give me also time to prepare sooner the updates. If you need an extension of the deadline please write that in the forum. Also, try to give descriptive titles that relate to the content of your sketch. This will facilitate the quick manipulation of the collected sketches by your fellow composers.

Upload link -> here

ReplyQuote
margarethe
(@margarethe)
13/12/2019 3:44 pm  

Hello everyone,

I think I am the first of the instrumentalists to sign up here... Nice too met you all, thnaks Kosmas for the invitation andI am looking forward to collaborate with you! For the ones who don't know me, I play bass - so any questions or discussions are welcome, in case you want to know something instrument-related from me 🙂

Kind regards,

Maggie

ReplyQuote
davorius
(@davorius)
Eminent Member
16/12/2019 12:38 am  

@Kosmas

hey I was a bad boy and submitted a very short proposal, but I wanted to submit at least something before the deadline - can I add some more material tomorrow? Sorry, the strikes in France made me travel 3* longer than expected and I am still on the road tomorrow. I apologise!

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
16/12/2019 3:08 am  

@davorius yes sure, I have extended the deadline until Wednesday.

ReplyQuote
davorius
(@davorius)
Eminent Member
17/12/2019 6:00 pm  

@Kosmas

Hey, I tried uploading several times and get this message: 'uploading a file fails for any reason'

Is there a size limit? My file is 3.25MB

Thanks for letting me know how to procede?

ReplyQuote
marcio.steuernagel
(@marcio-steuernagel)
Eminent Member
18/12/2019 2:18 am  

Dear @Kosmas, quick question: are we allowed/encouraged to already react/relate to other composers musical events that have already been "published", or is this a phase dedicated exclusively to the creation of new, independent elements? 

Best!

ReplyQuote
davorius
(@davorius)
Eminent Member
18/12/2019 11:11 am  

@Mauricio - I thought it was individual for now, that's how I handled my case - just to create a diverse pool, though, as you say, it might be interesting to react to each other, but I sort of feel that will be the assignment for the next phase - @Kosmas, could you clarify that?

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
19/12/2019 1:44 pm  

the goal of the incubation phase is to create a diverse pool of musical ideas. You can react/relate to other sketches but your new one has to be distinct and different enough so that it can serve different functions in the piece.

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
20/12/2019 7:20 pm  

Hi everyone, I apologize for the delay, there was some technical issues and the website was down. There was a problem with the maximum upload size which for now is 2MB. If your file is bigger than that it will show an error message and will not work. In January this problem will be fixed so that you will be able to upload bigger files.

Here (link) are the sketches of the second incubation period. Review them and think of new musical ideas that can enrich our pool. You can react/relate to the already submitted sketches but your new one has to be distinct and different enough so that it can serve different functions in the piece.

Next deadline is on Monday 23.12.2019 at 23:59 in your local time-zone.

Upload link -> here

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
24/12/2019 7:37 pm  

Hi everyone, thank you very much for your sketches of the third period. We have gathered some very promising ideas so far but we still need to fill our idea pool a bit more.

Here (link) are the sketches of the third incubation period. Review them and think of new musical ideas that may be necessary for the various sections of our composition.

Next deadline is on Friday 27.12.2019 at 23:59 in your local time-zone.

Upload link -> here

I wish you all happy holidays, although we need to finish the incubation until the end of the month.

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
27/12/2019 9:34 am  

Deadline for the incubation period 4 is  extended until Saturday 28.12.2019 at 23:59 in your local time-zone.

Upload link -> here

ReplyQuote
Kosmas
(@kosmas)
Member Admin
29/12/2019 6:21 pm  

Hi everyone, many thanks for your sketches of the fourth incubation period. Here (link) you can review them. For the fifth and last incubation period you will compose sketches that introduce elements from the unselected concepts of the conception period. These sketches will serve as "outsiders" that can be useful in situations where new material is required. I encourage you to be more radical in this period but try to make your sketches compatible with the already collected ones.

Deadline for submission is on Wednesday 1.1.2020 at 23:59 in your local time-zone.

Upload link -> here

ReplyQuote
davorius
(@davorius)
Eminent Member
30/12/2019 1:20 am  

Dear Kosmas,

as well aware as I am that the new deadline is already a few days passed the original deadline, it is completely unrealistic. January first I intend to wake up at 2pm half hung over from the New Year's Eve and I can hardly expect myself coming up with any meaningfull idea, even if I manage to start conceptualizing upon it tomorrow. Maybe everyone else is planing on staying home with grandma and falling asleep at 12:30 right after toasting for New Year, but I sincerely doubt it. 😀 Why don't we put it on Jan 2nd right away. Sorry for being so blunt. Hugs, D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: